Trap, Neuter, Return (TNR) is the most effective way to control the outdoor cat population and keep feral and semi-feral cats healthy. Take these 10 steps to make it happen.
- Use a humane box trap (Tomahawk, Havahart, or Tru Catch recommended). Traps must be at least 9”x 9” x 26-36”. You can rent traps from OAR for a $70 refundable deposit per trap. Stop by the clinic Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., to borrow up to two traps at a time for an up to two-week period.
- One feral or semi-feral cat/kitten per trap—no exceptions.
- Bring in up to two cats in traps per household per day.
- Cover with a towel (or other fabric) and bring to OAR’s Spay/Neuter Clinic during its community cat admission schedule below. You can also make an appointment.
- Have questions about trapping? Here’s a great resource.
- If you drop off early in the day, it’s possible that the cat will have same-day surgery. Cats dropped off later in the day will likely be scheduled for surgery the following day.
- It’s possible that the Spay/Neuter Clinic will reach capacity and stop being able to accept more cats for surgery. Check our community cat admission schedule below to see if we’ve reached our limit for the day.
- Pick up your cat the morning after surgery at 7:30 a.m. (Friday surgeries require a same-day pick-up at 2:30 p.m.) Your cat will be ear-tipped, and you will receive instructions about release and care.
- Follow the instructions that OAR’s Spay/Neuter Clinic staff give you for the best results.
- When your cats are ready, release them back into their established territory, healthier—and with far less chance of a kitten invasion on your property!
This week’s schedule:
- Sunday (9/24): 3 p.m. – 5 p.m.
- Monday: CLOSED
- Tuesday: 8:30 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Wednesday: 9:13 a.m. WE ARE FULL
- Thursday: CLOSED
- Friday: We do not accept walk ins on Fridays
We will not be accepting ferals on the following upcoming dates:
If you have an appointment for your feral cat(s), this schedule does not apply.
- Sunday, Oct. 8
- Tuesday, Oct. 10
- Wednesday, Nov. 22
- Thursday, Nov. 23
- Thursday, Dec. 21
- Monday, Dec. 25